Thursday, August 6, 2009

Phnom Penh (27.07.09)







It took me 8 hours to ge from Saigon to Phnom Penh, by bus. The city doesn't look like a capital of a country. It lacks tall buildings and large boulevards. I only spent a couple of days. I walked along the riverfront. I visited the Silver Pagoda and the Royal Palace. These are the main tourist attractions, an example of the 20th century Khmer architecture. After that went to the Wat Phnom, a temple on the hill. I saw also few other pagodas and temples. The traffic is not as crazy as in Vietnam; however, the city is rather dirty and dull. I didn't like too much this city. Before I left I visited Toul Sleng Genocide Museum. This was a school transformed into a prison by the Khmer Rouge where thousands of people have been held, tortured, and later killed.

No comments: